Fort Dodge was established in 1859 to provide protection for the wagon trains and the US Mail Service traversing the Santa Fe Trail. It served as a supply base for troops involved in the Indian Wars against the Plains Indians—including the Kiowa and the Cheyenne. Eight years later, it was relocated and rebuilt in stone buildings, then abandoned in 1882. The stone structures are still in use. To reach Fort Dodge follow the Arkansas River southwest from Dodge City on Highway 400.

 

   
 
 
Copyright © 2013 Minneola, Kansas